I was fortunate to be invited to appear on KUTV News Channel 2 on February 13 with news anchor Mary Nickles. She was an amazing host and I really enjoyed spending time with her sharing the amazing properties of these superfoods.
I suggest you take a look if are pregnant or are planning to get pregnant. It’s amazing how radiant you can look and feel when you eat these healthy foods.
- Quinoa is an ancient grain, high in protein (13 grams in 1 cup cooked), filled with fiber (5 grams per cup) and it’s a naturally good source of iron.
- Kale and other dark green veggies offer an excellent source of iron (especially important for women), vitamin A, and lutein for eye health.
- Berries– pack an incredible amount of nutritional goodness into a small package. They’re loaded with antioxidants,phytonutrients, low in calories, and high in water and fiber to helpcontrol blood sugar and keep you full longer. They are great at satisfying a sweet tooth.
- Sweet Potatoes are power packed with vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, and potassium and they taste great!
- Avocados are creamy, succulent and contain the best kind of fat (monounsaturated oleic acid) and also help your body block the absorption of bad fats (cholesterol). They’re high in lutein, which aids eyesight, and in potassium and folate, which may reduce the risk of stroke and cardiovascular disease. And they’re low in pesticides.
- Seaweed (Hijiki, Wakame, Kelp, Nori) Think of eating seaweed as going directly to the source..this is where fish procure their Omega-3’s, meaning you can skip the fish and go straight to the seaweed. Seaweeds are also a two-for-one deal, nutrition-wise: They contain nutrients commonly found in green, leafy vegetables, along with most minerals found in the ocean. They’re also full of magnesium.
- Raw Cacoa. Cacao is derived from Theobroma Cacao beans, which literally means Food of the Gods. Cacao contains over 300 healthy compounds including: protein, fat, carbohydrates, fiber, iron, zinc, copper, calcium and magnesium. Magnesium helps to build strong bones and is a muscle relaxant associated with feelings of calmness. Cacao is also high in sulfur, which helps form strong nails and hair.