5 Tips for Staying Healthy this Summer
By Amanda Moxley
1. Exercise. One hour a day is little to ask for the benefit you will get from exercise. Exercise is one of the best ways to increase energy, de-stress, feel good in your body, explore, and be adventurous. Enjoy the early mornings, long days and cool nights by getting outside. Use the solar energy to ignite your love for movement and fun.
2. Drink water to stay cool and hydrated. Drink at least two to four cups (16-32 ounces) upon waking up, and more if you are doing lots of activities and exercise. Carry water with you in a glass bottle or canteen.
3. Enjoy the Abundance of Nature. Go to your local Farmers Market and buy fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables. Organic and local is best. Consuming foods that are cooling and light like fresh fruits, vegetable juices, raw vital salads and lots of water will nourish your body inside and out all summer long.
4. While enjoying the sun and outdoors, protect yourself from overexposure to sunlight by wearing a hat and using natural sunscreens without excessive chemicals. I use Alba Organics and Aubrey; you can find these products at your local health food store. Carry aloe vera gel for overexposure and have an aloe plant growing in your home for any kind of burn. The cooling, healing gel inside the leaves will soothe any sunburn. It works great.
5. Take time off! Plan a fun trip with your family and friends. Take a hike in the wild, go camping, play at the river or lake, or spend a few days resting on the beach. Rekindling our Earth connection has benefits that last beyond this season and continue to enrich us the whole year through.
© 2011 Amanda Moxley